24/7 Palliative Care Advice Line
If you require urgent medical attention please contact your GP or attend the emergency department – this is not an emergency service
East Cheshire Hospice provides a 24 hour palliative care telephone advice line for healthcare professionals, patients and their families and carers who live within Eastern Cheshire & High Peak.
The advice may be nursing, medical or about general palliative care issues.
- Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- 24/7 service is available to:
- Primary health care teams e.g. district nurses, GP’s
- Out of hours services
- Nursing home staff
- Hospital staff (outside of normal working hours)
- Patients and family members/carers within our catchment area
- Calls are taken by a senior nurse on the in-patient unit at the hospice. Most calls can be dealt with by the experienced nursing team, but they may direct your call to the doctor on duty if medical advice is required
- You may be advised and supported to contact an alternative team if it is felt they are more suited to deal with your query
- If you are known to the Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Team you may be directed to speak with the relevant team member if your call is within normal working hours (Mon-Fri 9-5pm).
All advice given is recorded. If the patient is known to the hospice the patient’s shared GP records will be updated to ensure continuity of care and the communication of important information. The advice given is reviewed by a senior clinician working at the hospice each day and followed up if required. All calls are discussed at our weekly team meeting with the community & hospital Specialist Palliative Care Team.
Responsibility remains with the clinician assessing the patient and detailed prescribing advice will only be given directly to the prescriber.