Planned Respite Service
Thank you for considering referring a patient for respite care at East Cheshire Hospice.
We aim to provide short-term, temporary care to people with progressive life-limiting illnesses who wish to give their unpaid carers or families a rest from caring. The hospice provides an opportunity for a planned respite stay of 1 week, with a maximum of 2 weeks respite per year per person. Please note our respite weeks run Thursday to Thursday.
Our In-patient Respite criteria:
The following conditions should apply to fulfil the respite criteria:
- The person must have a diagnosis of a progressive life-limiting illness, be aged 18 or over, with palliative care needs
- They must be registered with a GP in Eastern Cheshire or the High Peak area of Derbyshire
- They must be being cared for by family or friends at home (they may also have a funded care package)
- Patients living alone with specific goals may also be considered
- The person referred must be in a stable condition prior to admission so that their planned discharge date is upheld
- The person must be able to make own travel arrangements to and from the hospice, either through their GP, specialist nurse, district nurse or arrangements made themselveswith family
- Both the person and the carer must agree the need for respite
- The patient must be willing to undertake a Covid-19 test prior to (or in some limited circumstances on arrival at) East Cheshire Hospice.
People who are not usually eligible for respite care at the hospice–
- Those who already have a placement in long term care, or who are awaiting a long-term placement
- Those requiring specialist dementia care
- A person who requires 1 to 1 care at all times
- A person who has had a positive Covid-19 swab in the 14 days prior to their respite admission
- Those that are medically unstable
Respite stays are booked through the hospice Advanced Nurse Practitioners Tracy Graham-Woollard and Charlotte Miles.
Please send the completed referral form, available to download below, to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also use this email address if you have queries about the respite service.